Sunday, May 18, 2014

Captain's Log 5/13/14 Albuquerque, NM

Our arrival into Albuquerque, NM had us driving through some of the most gorgeous scenery I have seen in this country. We saw some "out there" ancient cliff dwellings near Los Alamos, drove up and down a mountain pass heading south on ruta cuatro, and then took zero pictures heading south through Jemez, an unbelievably gorgeous desert canyon. Too bad my camera was on low battery. Oops! Woes of the traveling vagabond =/ Here's what I did manage...

DISCLAIMER: This may be my lamest post yet!

Heading South From Taos

The Cliffs were gnarly near Los Alamos
So we pulled off for a closer look...Indians?



I stumbled upon an ancient cliff dwelling archeological site



Do you appreciate Rock Art?

Ancient Ruins

Dancing Baby!

The Cliff was littered with abodes

Here's the view they woke up to

No Flash Photography, eh?

Sub Prime Real Estate

Gang related drive by's are a thing of the past...

The pass south of Los Alamos had spectacular beauty

Two Pics because it was so breathtaking

The Sandias...Pulling into Albuquerque, NM

Took this pic while driving...I know...I'm RAW
^ That was a photography pun...come on guys!
I took the pic on my way to a bouldering spot, where I met another Christian. We bouldered for a few minutes (literally) before I pitched the idea (i should start italicizing the word play) to hit a nearby sport crag. Christian was down, so we became Chris Squared (to the power of 2), and hit up a polished rock crag called big block in neighboring Tijeras. I took absolutely no pics because I was too busy pumping out on 5.10a, yeah...the rock was polished smooth, so whatever!

Christian lent me his copy of an Arizona canyons guidebook, we tossed back a beer, and then I hit the road towards flagstaff. So off we went, and as I set off semi buzzed (from the elevation guys), the sunset made the mountains glow a pinkish hue... that I obviously didn't capture on camera. But Sandia is watermelon in spanish, and some sort of magic (or is it Raleigh Scattering) causes this weird geological luminescence that twinkled in the twilight behind us while we sailed wayward towards Flagstaff. I say sailed because it's damn windy out there in The Querq, as I like to call it. Of course, I only got 3 hours west of Querqtown before I fell asleep in a National Forest. Actually, it was El Malpais National Monument to be precise, and waking up to breakfast under neath a giant natural arch was on the menu!

Stay Tuned for the natural Arch breakfast, Petrified National Forest (which nearly petrified us), and Flagstaff, in what may be the longest post I will ever post. Seriously, Flagstaff felt very homey (I stayed long enough for an oil change!)

Peace!





No comments:

Post a Comment